Ten recycling-minded rivals from round Michigan and past earned recognition and a monetary increase within the newest NextCycle Michigan Showcase, a singular, Michigan-centric pitch contest to advance Michigan’s round financial system. And separate from the competitors, Showcase individuals this yr have earned a complete of $2.28 million in 2022 grants from the Michigan Division of Setting, Nice Lakes, and Vitality (EGLE). Winners are listed beneath.
EGLE Director Liesl Clark presents award to VMX Worldwide at NextCycle Showcase occasion.
EGLE Director Liesl Clark introduced the $51,600 in Showcase awards on the Michigan Recycling Coalition’s (MRC) Season of Innovation: Fall into Recycling occasion Oct. 6-7 in Troy. A Showcase additionally happened this spring in Ann Arbor.
Clark famous that EGLE is concentrated on large-scale societal outcomes very important for the wholesome way forward for Michigan households: decarbonizing the financial system to avert the worst impacts of local weather change; defending and restoring the Nice Lakes and Michigan’s inland waters; and making certain that every one Michiganders have clear air to breathe, protected water to drink, and wholesome, vibrant communities to name residence.
“Once I consider your work to drive round financial system options to the forefront right here in Michigan,” Clark informed rivals, “I’m most impressed and impressed by the truth that it cuts throughout and contributes to all these large overarching outcomes.”
- NextCycle prepares Showcase groups to pitch the potential of their revolutionary concepts. Entrepreneurs, buyers, and trade leaders from Closed Loop Companions, the Michigan Financial Growth Corp., Michigan Capital Community, United Approach, Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice, Emmet County, EGLE, and PADNOS judged the Troy Showcase. Listed below are winners and prizes, together with quantities of 2022 EGLE grants some even have obtained:
- Useful resource Recycling Methods Finest in Present Award: $10,000 to Detroit-based BSG Tire Recycling and Grant-based Porous Pave to show scrap tires into pathways and public areas all through Detroit. The 2 corporations additionally break up $400 because the winners of the Shovel Prepared Individuals’s Alternative Award. BSG obtained a $133,000 EGLE Market Growth Grant for its challenge to sustainably reuse scrap tires in Detroit to make tree surrounds; mulch; combination for rainwater administration; and low-maintenance, long-lasting paths – together with for the 27.5-mile Joe Louis Greenway leisure pathway.
- Centrepolis Accelerator Award: $10,000 to Fenton-based Recharge Recycling to develop a phased strategy to gather, discharge, take a look at, refurbish, and finally course of and recycle lithium-ion batteries from electrical automobiles and different sources within the Flint space. The corporate additionally obtained a $100,000 Market Growth Grant from EGLE.
- Group Based mostly Options Pitch Award: $7,500 to Benton Harbor Collaboration to develop recycling infrastructure and round financial system alternatives in Benton Harbor. The collaboration contains the Metropolis of Benton Harbor and the West Michigan Sustainable Enterprise Discussion board.
- Past Recycling Pitch Award: $7,500 to Architectural Salvage Warehouse of Detroit to deconstruct buildings in metro Detroit to maintain environmental sources out of the waste stream, reutilize supplies from demolition and Detroit’s distinctive structure, and make inexpensive housing supplies out there to low- and moderate-income households.
- Shovel Prepared Pitch Award: $7,500 to American Basic of Greenville to scale up its transportable grinding operation for waste asphalt shingles to service all of Michigan. American Basic additionally obtained $19,825 in Market Growth Grant funds to check the feasibility of making a regional hub-and-spoke materials restoration facility (MRF) to serve Muskegon, Oceana, Mason, Lake, and Newaygo counties, which at present don’t have any MRFs.
- Wheel of Innovation Pitch Award: $7,500 to Detroit-based VMX Worldwide to develop a recycling middle within the metropolis of Detroit centered on lithium-ion batteries from electrical automobiles. VMX Worldwide additionally obtained a $100,000 Market Growth Grant for processing facility, which can embody shredding and separation functionality and have hydrometallurgy know-how. Recovered uncommon earth components can be utilized as uncooked supplies for next-generation merchandise.
- Group Based mostly Options Individuals’s Alternative Award: $400 to the Pontiac Regional Chamber to deliver native communities collectively for collaborative recycling alternatives and approaches to enhance entry and preserve worth within the area.
- Past Recycling Individuals’s Alternative Award: $400 to Pink Elephant Occasions of Detroit to develop its zero-waste occasion providers in Southeast Michigan to recuperate helpful supplies for advertising and marketing and diversion from the landfill.
- Wheel of Innovation Individuals’s Alternative Award: $400 to NecoTech of Delaware, Ohio, to create asphalt from blended plastics to be used in changing deteriorating roads, bridges, and highways in Michigan.
EGLE has awarded the next 2022 grants to different Showcase individuals:
- $500,000 to Muskegon-based Goodwill Industries of West Michigan for a three way partnership with Pennsylvania-based HydroBlox Applied sciences to transform at the least 2 million kilos a yr of Goodwill’s plastic waste right into a 100% recycled content material storm water administration system for drainage and filtration.
- $367,000 to San Francisco-based Glacier for its demonstration of robotic sorters at Useful resource Restoration and Recycling Authority of Southwest Oakland County (RRRASOC) and Southeastern Oakland County Useful resource Restoration Authority (SOCRRA) – case research for the efficacy of Glacier robots at different areas. The robots will mitigate labor shortages at each MRFs by recovering as much as 950 further tons of commodities a yr.
- $295,641 to Grand Rapids-based Noble Polymers for its work to divert blended curbside residential plastics from landfills and develop and compound extremely engineered recycled plastics for a variety of producing industries.
- $166,000 to Industrial Stitching and Innovation Middle (ISAIC) of Detroit to develop a manufacturing mannequin for upcycling textile waste into felted material and a marketing strategy for scaling this mannequin by way of microfactories across the state.
- $163,340 to SEEDS Ecology & Schooling Facilities of Traverse Metropolis to help suggestions from a 10-county market improvement examine and participation in NextCycle’s Meals, Liquids, & Natural Waste Methods (FLOWS) to speed up organics diversion within the Grand Traverse area and northwest Michigan. SEEDS will develop capability to gather, haul, and course of natural supplies, and work with native stakeholders to web site and design a centralized composting system for meals waste from space residents and companies.
- $113,711 to Detroit-based NexTiles for a challenge utilizing textile waste from Detroit automotive manufacturing as feedstock for constructing insulation.
- $100,000 to Washington, D.C.-based Suppliers Partnership for the Setting for a feasibility evaluation and marketing strategy improvement examine to develop, consider, and suggest fashions for economically and virtually accumulating, aggregating, and pre-processing renewable packaging supplies for the automotive provide chain.
- $100,000 to Ontario-based Savormetrics for synthetic intelligence-driven sensing to cut back meals waste on the supply and scale back power consumption.
- $65,500 to City Ashes of Saline for its collaborative Round UrbanWood Triconomy pilot program to seize about 400 metric tons of carbon dioxide by diverting city timber from the wooden waste stream whereas offering startup enterprise and profession alternatives for residents and youths which have had contact with the justice system.
- $55,660 to Western Michigan College Paper Pilot Vegetation in Kalamazoo to ascertain a lab to check paper and plastic supplies for compostability and diversion from landfills.
Grantees not primarily based in Michigan have operations within the state. NextCycle Michigan fosters partnerships and develops investment-ready challenge plans to maintain waste out of landfills and construct Michigan producers’ demand for recovered supplies, bringing new enterprise with a concentrate on options which are equitable and optimistic for the surroundings.
EGLE launched the NextCycle initiative in 2021 to attach entrepreneurs, corporations, organizations, and communities to technical help, monetary sources, and capability constructing for recycling, restoration, and reuse. Useful resource Recycling Methods manages and facilitates NextCycle in collaboration with Lawrence Technological College’s Centrepolis Accelerator and the MRC.